Re: A question about the permissions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tim Uckun
Subject Re: A question about the permissions
Date
List pgsql-general
> On lots of systems, giving group permissions is nearly as bad as giving
> world permissions (eg, all the users might be in a "users" group).
> So we don't do it by default.  If you want to poke holes in the security
> of your own installation, go right ahead.

I decided to see if I could do it without messing with permissions. I
modified the script to send the data to the monitoring system itself
and ran it from cron as the user postgres.

Now I am not getting the number I expected when I run the script.
When I run the script from the shell as user postgres I get the lag.
When I run the exact same script from cron the number I get is a
negative number under 3000. The same thing happens if I run the cron
job as root.

I suspect this is due to some environment issues. Has anybody ran into
an issue like this before?