Re: Database restore speed - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Database restore speed
Date
List pgsql-performance
"Luke Lonergan" <llonergan@greenplum.com> writes:
> One more thing - this is really about the lack of a cross-platform binary
> input standard for Postgres IMO.  If there were such a thing, it *would* be
> safe to do this.  The current Binary spec is not cross-platform AFAICS, it
> embeds native representations of the DATUMs, and does not specify a
> universal binary representation of same.

Sure it does ... at least as long as you are willing to assume everybody
uses IEEE floats, and if they don't you have semantic problems
translating float datums anyhow.

What we lack is documentation, more than functionality.

            regards, tom lane