Re: POC: rational number type (fractions) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: POC: rational number type (fractions)
Date
Re: POC: rational number type (fractions)  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> On 7/1/20 7:00 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> ... extensions outside of PG simply don't thrive as independent projects.
>>
>> There's various potential reasons for that, from being hard to find, to
>> being hard to install and work with, to the fact that we don't have a
>> centralized extension system (PGXN isn't really endorsed at all by
>> core... and I don't really think it should be), and our general
>> extension management system isn't particularly great anyway.

> Then these are things we should fix. But the right fix isn't including
> every extension in the core code.

Yeah.  We *must not* simply give up on extensibility and decide that
every interesting feature has to be in core.  I don't have any great
ideas about how we grow the wider Postgres development community and
infrastructure, but that certainly isn't the path to doing so.