Re: pgjdbc: Maven -> Gradle, Java 6 => 7, JUnit 4 => 5 - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Steven Schlansker
Subject Re: pgjdbc: Maven -> Gradle, Java 6 => 7, JUnit 4 => 5
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Oooh, a voting thread!  I have at least one commit so I'll consider myself qualified ;)

> On Mar 10, 2020, at 3:11 PM, Jorge Solórzano <jorsol@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Vladimir,
>
> * +-0 for Gradle, I don't have a strong opinion against it, but if you
> think it would make it easier to maintain, its ok for me.

-0 from me - I personally prefer Maven, but maintainer's choice!
Most of these "Maven issues" can be fixed but of course it's not much fun to figure out magic XML incantations to do
so.

> * +1 for drop Java 6 it's long dead now.

++++++1

> * +-0 for dropping Java 7, some companies are slow to move to newer
> jvm versions (or are stuck on 7), but is a minor fraction that could
> or should paid for support.

+1, 7 is dead.

> The reality is that even commercial JDBC drivers have long ago moved to Java 8+.
>
> * +1 for JUnit 5

+1

> * -1 Kotlin, (let's not enter in this discussion...)

Agreed -1, please keep pgJDBC as vanilla Java - no Kotlin or Scala or reactive or whatever! (until Virtual Threads hit
jdk...)
Boring and simple is a virtue, especially for drivers.