Re: Fwd: Proposal - UUID data type - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Fwd: Proposal - UUID data type
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> "Mark Mielke" <mark@mark.mielke.cc> writes:
>> I'm sure one or two examples must exist, but I cannot think of any. Every
>> enhancement I can think of that eventually made it into a standard, was first
>> implemented within a popular product, and then demanded as a standard to be
>> applied to all other products.

> C99? SMTP? NTP?

> It tends to be important for network protocols since there's no gain in having
> non-interoperable protocols.

Actually, the IETF's mantra has always been "rough consensus and running
code" (cf http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2031.html).  Network protocols
don't get standardized in advance of a working prototype, either.

(No, I take that back: there were some that did.  Ever heard of OSI?)