Re: Index not used with IS NULL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Index not used with IS NULL
Date
List pgsql-general
Dima Tkach <dmitry@openratings.com> writes:
> I'd be happy to come up with a patch... It just was my understanding
> that you would not accept such a patc hanyway, because your opinion is
> that it is unnecessary and dangerous... Did I misunderstand you here?

I don't see anything dangerous about it --- except perhaps to
readability and mantainability of the code.  The problem is that IS NULL
doesn't fit into the operator-and-opclass model of what indexes can do.
If you can find a solution to that problem that's not a complete kluge,
I'm all ears.

            regards, tom lane