Re: statement stats extra load? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alan McKay
Subject Re: statement stats extra load?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 2:42 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> That's not true at all.
>
> If you have many relations in your cluster that have at some point been
> touched, the starts collector can create a *significant* load on the I/o
> system. I've come across several cases where the only choice was to disable
> the collector completely, even given all the drawbacks from that.

Thanks Magnus, I thought that other response sounded a bit fanciful :-)

So is there any way to predict the load this will have?   Or just try
it and hope for the best?  :-)

Right now on our 8.3 system it is off and we'd like to turn it on