Bi-Directional replication client awareness - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martin Gudmundsson
Subject Bi-Directional replication client awareness
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all!
I was wondering if there are any specific load balancing/failover functionality planned for client drivers connection
toa BDR group. In my case the jdbc driver, but could be relevant for other drivers as well.

Or is the long term plan that we need we need to rely on middleware like pgpool or other third party frameworks for
this?

The reason I’m asking is because I was reading up on BDR and started thinking about who important the client interfaces
alsoare to be able to take full advantage of these features.

Having client awareness of the nodes ip, port numbers, status and current load, could probably bring powerful features
tothis as a whole. That is some how other database vendors take care of client failover and load balancing and has in
myexperience proved to work very well.

And not only for BDR, but also streaming replication setups, could use this to do automatic client failovers, in the
casethere is a server side failover.

Anyone who knows if there is anything in progress regarding this?

Kind regards, Martin