Re: [PERFORM] postgresql tuning with perf - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: [PERFORM] postgresql tuning with perf
Date
Re: [PERFORM] postgresql tuning with perf
List pgsql-performance

On 10/23/2017 09:19 PM, Purav Chovatia wrote:
> Hello Experts,
>
> We are trying to tune our postgresql DB using perf.

Can you share some of the perf reports, then?

> We are running a C program that connects to postgres DB and calls
> very simple StoredProcs, one each for SELECT, INSERT & UPDATE.
>
> The SPs are very simple.
> *SELECT_SP*:
> CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE query_dept_new(p1 IN numeric, p2 OUT
> numeric,p3 OUT numeric,.......,p205 OUT numeric) AS
> BEGIN
>     SELECT c2,c3,......,c205
>         INTO p2,p3,.......,p205
>         FROM dept_new
>         WHERE c1 = p1;
> END;
>
> *UPDATE_SP*:
> CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE query_dept_update(p1 IN numeric, p2 IN
> numeric,........,p205 IN numeric) AS
> BEGIN
>     update dept_new set  c2 = p2,c3 = p3,.....,c205 = p205
>         WHERE c1 = p1;
> commit;
> END;
>
> *INSERT_SP*:
> CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE query_dept_insert(p1 IN numeric, p2 IN
> numeric,.....,p205 IN numeric) AS
> BEGIN
> insert into dept_new values(p1,p2,.....,p205);
> commit;
> END;
>
> As shown above, its all on a single table. Before every test, the table
> is truncated and loaded with 1m rows. WAL is on a separate disk.

It'd be nice if you could share more details about the structure of the
table, hardware and observed metrics (throughput, ...). Otherwise we
can't try reproducing it, for example.

> Its about 3x slower as compared to Oracle and major events are WAL
> related. With fsync=off or sync_commit=off it gets 10% better but still
> far from Oracle. Vacuuming the table does not help. Checkpoint too is
> not an issue.

So how do you know the major events are WAL related? Can you share how
you measure that and the measurements?

> Since we dont see any other way to find out what is slowing it down, we
> gathered data using the perf tool. Can somebody pls help on how do we go
> about reading the perf report.

Well, that's hard to do when you haven't shared the report.

regards