Re: Petition: Treat #!... shebangs as comments - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Petition: Treat #!... shebangs as comments
Date
List pgsql-general
David G Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> writes:
> While I agree with the sentiment unless someone can present a reason why
> allowing and then ignoring a she-bang is a terrible idea then this seems
> like a case for letting end-users decide what is best for themselves.  The
> issue then is that apparently this isn't exactly high on anyone's list of
> ToDo items so unless the OP or one of the +1 people are willing to supply a
> patch the odds that it gets done decreases quite quickly.

It's not just that it's "not high on anyone's priority list", it's that
we'd want to be sure that the patch didn't break any existing use-cases
or make things unmaintainable.  (This isn't exactly a negligible concern
considering that Postgres thinks #! is a legal operator name.)

The proposal seems a bit reminiscent of the requests we've had for psql
to ignore a UTF8 byte-order mark (BOM) at the start of an input file.
The details are considerably different of course, but anyone who wants
to push this idea should probably read the archives to see why that idea
still hasn't made it in.

            regards, tom lane