Re: urgent: upgraded to 8.2, getting kernel panics - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: urgent: upgraded to 8.2, getting kernel panics
Date
Re: urgent: upgraded to 8.2, getting kernel panics  ("Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
Re: [GENERAL] urgent: upgraded to 8.2, getting kernel panics  (Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@gmail.com> writes:
> On friday we upgraded a critical backend server to postgresql 8.2
> running on fedora core 4.

Umm ... why that particular choice of OS?  Red Hat dropped update
support for FC4 some time ago, and AFAIK the Fedora Legacy project
is not getting things done.  How old is the kernel you're using?

> At this juncture we are going to downgrade the postmaster back to 8.1
> and see if that fixes the panics.

Even assuming that Postgres is related to the panics, I don't think you
will find anyone maintaining that a kernel panic is not the kernel's
problem.  If an application *is* able to provoke a kernel panic, the
standard description of the problem would be "critical kernel security
flaw".