Re: Overhauling GUCS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> There is a saying, something like "The accumulation of annecdotes is not
> data".  Well, we seem to have a high bar on what proof we need to actually
> change a default GUC settings. default_statistics_target is a prime example,
> where almost no one i know has ever recommended 10 as a default, or suggests
> setting it to 10 as an way to improve performance, but the effort to get it
> changed to something more reasonable has been monumental.

Actually, the reason it's still 10 is that the effort expended to get it
changed has been *ZERO*.  I keep asking for someone to make some
measurements, do some benchmarking, anything to make a plausible case
for a specific higher value as being a reasonable place to set it.

The silence has been deafening.