Re: Summary of new configuration file and data directory locations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Summary of new configuration file and data directory locations
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Moreover, I don't know if we can make permission changes on directories
> during installation (make install).  (Read "can" as:  ought to, while
> staying within the vague confines of open-source software build system
> standards.)  For all we know, the directory may already be there and the
> installer told us to reuse it.

Agreed, we should probably not try to change ownership/permission of an
existing directory.  However, if we have to make a directory, it seems
sensible to me to make it Postgres-owned and mode 700.

Your concept of keeping client-side and server-side config files in the
same directory makes me very unhappy; that's a recipe for permission
problems if I ever saw one.

> How is the situation on the broken editors these days?

Well, I'm still using Emacs 19.34, which is a tad old, but it's got a
problem with not preserving file GIDs reliably.  Dunno if this is fixed
in newer releases.