Re: Patch to fix plpython on OS X - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Patch to fix plpython on OS X
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Patch to fix plpython on OS X
List pgsql-patches
"Jim C. Nasby" <decibel@decibel.org> writes:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 10:03:39AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> "Jim C. Nasby" <decibel@decibel.org> writes:
>>> Attached is a plpython_error_1.out file that will fix cuckoo.
>>
>> What is the reason for the difference in the error message spelling
>> in the first place?  Is this a Python version thing (and if so,
>> which version is newer --- that should have pride of place as
>> plpython_error.out I should think)?  Or is there some other reason
>> that we need to understand more closely instead of just slapping on
>> a band-aid?

> I don't think it's a version issue; cuckoo is at 2.4, platypus used to
> be at 2.3 but I upgraded it to 2.4 to see if that was the issue, but
> platypus kept working.

Hmm ... if it's *not* a version thing then I really do want to know
what's causing it.  Anyone have an idea why this machine is saying
'\u80' where everyone else's python says u'\x80' ?

*** ./expected/plpython_error.out       Mon Jul 18 22:06:49 2005
--- ./results/plpython_error.out        Mon Jul 18 23:53:30 2005
***************
*** 24,38 ****
  --
  SELECT unicode_return_error();
  ERROR:  plpython: function "unicode_return_error" could not create return value
! DETAIL:  exceptions.UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\x80' in position 0: ordinal not in
range(128)
  SELECT unicode_plan_error1();
  WARNING:  plpython: in function unicode_plan_error1:
  DETAIL:  plpy.Error: Unknown error in PLy_spi_execute_plan
  ERROR:  plpython: function "unicode_plan_error1" could not execute plan
! DETAIL:  exceptions.UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\x80' in position 0: ordinal not in
range(128)
  SELECT unicode_plan_error2();
  ERROR:  plpython: function "unicode_plan_error2" could not execute plan
  --
  SELECT unicode_return_error();
  ERROR:  plpython: function "unicode_return_error" could not create return value
! DETAIL:  exceptions.UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character '\u80' in position 0: ordinal not in
[...]

            regards, tom lane