Re: Memory settings, vm.overcommit, how to get it really safe? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Florian Weimer
Subject Re: Memory settings, vm.overcommit, how to get it really safe?
Date
List pgsql-general
* Scott Marlowe:

> What distro / kernel version of linux are you running?  We have a
> similar issue with late model hardware and RHEL4 recently here at
> work, where our workstations are running out of memory.  They aren't
> running postgresql, they're java dev workstations and it appears to be
> a RHEL4 on 64 bit problem, so that's why I ask.

When Java sees that your machine has got plenty of RAM and more than
one CPU, it assumes that it's a server and you want to run just a
single VM, and configures itself to use a fair chunk of available RAM.

This is more or less a Sun-specific issue.  Other Java implementations
make different choices.

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99