Re: Async Commit, v21 (now: v22) - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Florian Weimer
Subject Re: Async Commit, v21 (now: v22)
Date
List pgsql-patches
* Simon Riggs:

>> I think fsync=off also endagers metadata, while synchronous_commit=off
>> should be perfectly safe as far as the metadata is concerned.
>> Wouldn't this be worth mentioning as well?
>
> Well, I think "wider data loss" covers it for me, but I don't have a
> problem with people wanting to detail the various problems that can
> occur.

To be honest, I'm mostly concerned with the "synchronous_commit=off
does not wedge the whole database" part of that statement.  For me as
a user, this is a crucial piece of information, and I don't like it
when such information is merely implied.

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99