Re: Fwd: Restarting with pg_ctl, users, and passwords. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matthew Pettis
Subject Re: Fwd: Restarting with pg_ctl, users, and passwords.
Date
List pgsql-general
Below is the pg_hba.conf file exerpt (minus a lot of comments)... the
line starting '#host' was my attempt at opening up the db as wide as
possible just to see if i could get in somehow...

--- pg_hba.conf --------------------------------------
# Database administrative login by UNIX sockets
local   all         postgres                          ident sameuser

# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD

local   all         all                               ident sameuser
# IPv4 local connections:
host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5
#host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          trust
# IPv6 local connections:
host    all         all         ::1/128               md5

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Adrian Klaver <aklaver@comcast.net> wrote:
> From: "Matthew Pettis" <matthew.pettis@gmail.com>
>> SOLVED.
>>
>> Yep, Restart was done.
>>
>> The issue turned out not to be with Postgresql config, but the app
>> config.  In the app, I define a connection string, which has user,
>> password, and databasename.  When I had this same configuration on
>> WinXP, I did not need to specify a fourth parameter, the host, which
>> explicitly told the app to use host=localhost.  When I added the host
>> param to the connection string, it all went through.
>>
>> On the bright side, I learned a lot about how to restart the service
>> and the config files...
>>
>> Curious: Any ideas why I can leave the host off my connection string
>> in WinXP, but not Linux?  It it an idiosyncracy of my app, or of
>> PostgreSQL?
>>
>> Thanks for all the help,
>> Matt
>>
> Is the Linux app running on the Postgres server machine?
> If so I hazard a guess that you have a line like:
>
> local   all         all                               trust
>
> before your host line in pg_hba.
>
> The app connecting from the same machine would try the local socket (local) before the localhost(tcp/ip), unless
localhostwas specified in the connection string.

--
It is from the wellspring of our despair and the places that we are
broken that we come to repair the world.