Re: pg_hba.conf: samehost and samenet [REVIEW] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_hba.conf: samehost and samenet [REVIEW]
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> In this case what particularly scares me is the idea that 'samenet'
>> might be interpreted to let in a larger subnet than the user expected,
>> eg 10/8 instead of 10.0.0/24.  You'd likely not notice the problem until
>> after you'd been broken into ...

> I haven't looked at this "feature" at all, but I'd be inclined, on the
> grounds you quite reasonably cite, to require a netmask with "samenet",
> rather than just ask the interface for its netmask.

I was just thinking the same thing.  Could we then unify samehost and
samenet into one thing?  sameaddr/24 or something like that, with
samehost just being the limiting case of all bits used.  I am not
sure though if this works nicely for IPv6 as well as IPv4.