Re: Re: WAL and commit_delay - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: WAL and commit_delay
Date
List pgsql-hackers
ncm@zembu.com (Nathan Myers) writes:
> I.e. yes, Linux 2.4.0 and ext2 do implement the distinction.
> Sorry for the misinformation.

Okay ... meanwhile I've got to report the reverse: I've just confirmed
that on HPUX 10.20, there is *not* a distinction between fsync and
fdatasync.  I was misled by what was apparently an outlier result on my
first try with fdatasync plugged in ... but when I couldn't reproduce
that, some digging led to the fact that the fsync and fdatasync symbols
in libc are at the same place :-(.

Still, using fdatasync for the WAL file seems like a forward-looking
thing to do, and it'll just take another couple of lines of configure
code, so I'll go ahead and plug it in.