Re: When will vacuum go away? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: When will vacuum go away?
Date
List pgsql-sql
"Michael Richards" <michael@fastmail.ca> writes:
> I've been watching for this for some time. First it was 7.0, then
> 7.1. Does anyone have any idea on when the row re-use code will be
> ready?

VACUUM isn't disappearing any time soon, but 7.2's version of vacuum
runs in parallel with normal transactions, so it's not so painful to
run it frequently.  See discussion in development docs,
http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/maintenance.html

> Given trouble with Great Bridge is there any info out there on when
> 7.2 might hit the streets?

The last several postponements of 7.2 beta have *not* been the fault
of the ex-GreatBridge folks around here.

You can find a snapshot that should be pretty durn close to 7.2beta1
at ftp://ftp2.us.postgresql.org/pub/dev/postgresql-snapshot.tar.gz
(note that at last word, other mirrors were not up to date --- if
the doc/TODO file doesn't contain a date in October, it's stale).
I think the only thing we're still waiting on is some datetime fixes
from Tom Lockhart...
        regards, tom lane