Re: Limited Shared Buffer Problem - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From **Rod MacNeil
Subject Re: Limited Shared Buffer Problem
Date
List pgsql-performance
Thanx, I will try out that recommendation.

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Richard Neill <rn214@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

**Rod MacNeil wrote:
Hi All,

I have a server running CentOS5 with 6gb of memory that will run postgres 8.3 exclusively.
I would like to allocate 4gb of the memory to shared buffers for postgres.

It might be worth pausing at this point:

The various postgresql tuning guides usually suggest that on a dedicated system, you should give postgres about 1/4 of the RAM for shared buffers, while telling it that the effective_cache_size = 1/2 RAM.

Postgres will make good use of the OS cache as a file-cache - the "effective_cache_size" setting is advisory to postgres that it can expect about this much data to be in RAM.

Also, If you are setting up a new system, it's probably worth going for 8.4.2. Postgres is relatively easy to build from source.

HTH,

Richard