Re: [HACKERS] Point in Time Recovery - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Point in Time Recovery
Date
List pgsql-patches
> When archiver starts the FIRST thing it does is run a test to confirm
> that the command string works, so setting archive_command to '' would
> simply generate an error.

No, it would do no such thing; the test cannot really tell anything more
than whether system("foo") returns zero ... and at least on my machine,
system("") returns zero.  It certainly does not prove that any data went
to anyplace safe.

I diked that test out of the committed patch because I felt it cluttered
the archive area without actually proving anything of interest.  We can
revisit the point if you like.

> Also, I would suggest this:
> - changing archive mode requires a postmaster restart

Why?

> - changing archive command should just be a SIGHUP...

Check, as committed [and tested to work...]

            regards, tom lane