Re: No longer possible to query catalogs for index capabilities? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: No longer possible to query catalogs for index capabilities?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Vik Fearing <vik@2ndquadrant.fr> writes:
> On 08/08/16 15:38, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Well, the next step is to fill in the blanks: what properties need to be
>> queryable?

> That's less urgent; adding missing properties does not require a
> catversion bump.

If the complaint is "I can do X before 9.6.0 and after 9.6.0, but not in
9.6.0", it doesn't really matter whether it would take a catversion bump
to resolve; the problem is lack of a time machine.  Once there's a
released 9.6.0 out there that is missing something important, applications
that care about version portability are going to have to deal with it.
So we need to get this right the first time.