Re: DBD::Pg performance bites compared to DBD::mysql? - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: DBD::Pg performance bites compared to DBD::mysql?
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> ... There is no way that a client-side driver should be taking
>> several times longer than the backend to process a SQL command :-(

> What version of DBD::Pg did you test with?

DBD::Pg 1.40, also perl-DBI-1.40 and perl-5.8.5.  Greg Mullane
promised he'd take a closer look after he gets done moving to
Florida... in the meantime, I have a self-contained test case
if someone else wants to dig into it.

(Greg indicated that he thought the coding style in the Perl
test script pretty well sucked, which I don't doubt, but the
question remains why we are so much slower than MySQL on the
same code.)
        regards, tom lane