Re: [PERFORM] Questionaire: Common WAL write rates on busy servers. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: [PERFORM] Questionaire: Common WAL write rates on busy servers.
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 04/27/2017 09:34 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2017-04-27 09:31:34 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> On 04/27/2017 08:59 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
>>

>> I would agree it isn't yet a widespread issue.
>
> I'm not yet sure about that actually.  I suspect a large percentage of
> people with such workloads aren't lingering lots on the lists.

That would probably be true. I was thinking of it more as the "most new
users are in the cloud" and the "cloud" is going to be rare that a cloud
user is going to be able to hit that level of writes. (at least not
without spending LOTS of money)

>> The only people that are likely going to see this are going to be on bare
>> metal. We should definitely plan on that issue for say 11.
>
> "plan on that issue" - heh. We're talking about major engineering
> projects here ;)

Sorry, wasn't trying to make light of the effort. :D

>> I do have a question though, where you have seen this issue is it with
>> synchronous_commit on or off?
>
> Both. Whether that matters or not really depends on the workload. If you
> have bulk writes, it doesn't really matter much.

Sure, o.k.

Thanks,

Andres

> - Andres

                         +1-503-667-4564
Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.