Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Enable pg_ctl to give up admin privileges when starting the - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Enable pg_ctl to give up admin privileges when starting the
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> * Tom Lane (tgl@postgresql.org) wrote:
>> Enable pg_ctl to give up admin privileges when starting the server under
>> Windows (if newer than NT4, else works same as before).

> I don't suppose we could consider doing this for Unix-based systems too?
> I think it'd certainly be nice.  It's also how quite a few other Unix
> daemons operate.

Why should we try to duplicate the functionality of "su"?  And we would
have to largely duplicate it, not just change process UID.

I don't see the need for it anyway.  The only reason this patch went in
at all is to compensate for the general level of ignorance of Windows
users...