Problem with connectivity - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andy Glew
Subject Problem with connectivity
Date
List pgsql-general
Please help.. I have hit a bit of a brick wall with this.

I have a problem concerning connecting to my database.  I want to log webserver transactions into a postgresql db.  For development the webserver is my local pc and the postgresql db is setup on a server, both accessable through the companies network.

This is in a windows XP environment.

Now when I try to access the db through my webpage (generated using perls Template Toolkit) I get the following:-

DBI connect failed: Couldn't connect to cphnbdev3:5432/tcp: IO::Socket::INET: connect: Unknown error at C:/Perl/site/lib/DBD/PgPP.pm line 124

My connection string shouldn't be much of a problem as I use something similar (different port granted) for our MySQL db.
DBI:mysql:database=skylightslogs;host=Cphxxdev;port=3306

To start with I installed postgresql on my local PC and managed to get it to work just fine using the DBI utility.

I am a newby with postgresql, generally very impressed but would like some help in solving my little problem...  What could be wrong, I tried changing the port, the host name in the pgAdminIII and loads of other things too?

Thanks in advance