Re: Moving from 32 to 64 bit builds on Solaris - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Moving from 32 to 64 bit builds on Solaris
Date
List pgsql-general
Dan Sugalski <dan@sidhe.org> writes:
> I assume I'll have to do a 64 bit build to use more than a few gig of
> shared buffers. If I do that, though, am I going to have to do a
> database dump and reload,

Yes, most likely, because you'll have changed MAXALIGN and therefore the
data alignment rules.

You should first ask yourself whether you will get any performance
benefit from having "more than a few gig of shared buffers".  If anyone
has proven such a benefit I haven't seen it.

            regards, tom lane