Re: pgsql: Remove pre-7.4 documentaiton mentions, now that 8.0 is the oldest - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: Remove pre-7.4 documentaiton mentions, now that 8.0 is the oldest
Date
List pgsql-committers
> The issue isn't the cost of us maintaining the SGML, it is the cost of
> individuals reading it, deciding if it applies to them, and then
> skipping to the next paragraph or section.  If we had all this stuff in
> one isolated place, we would not have that issue and we could leave it
> there forever, but then few people would find it when they needed it.

That's a pretty lame argument when you are talking about removing
a few paragraphs out of 7.5MB (and counting) of documentation.
The incremental savings for readers who don't care is negligible.  The
incremental cost for readers who needed the info could be very high.

            regards, tom lane