Re: contrib/pg_filedump - PostgreSQL File Dump Utility - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: contrib/pg_filedump - PostgreSQL File Dump Utility
Date
List pgsql-patches
Patrick Macdonald <patrickm@redhat.com> writes:
> Hmmm... I was under the impression that contributed code
> that resides in the /contrib directory could be licensed
> under GPL.

We'd prefer BSD, though.  The existing contrib modules that are
GPL-licensed snuck in there by virtue of people not paying attention.

I'd kinda like to see us go back to the contributors and get them
all relicensed as BSD (or at the very least LGPL).  I think that
distributing these as we do is only marginally legit --- it's
debatable whether this is "mere aggregation" under the terms
of the GPL, given that the contrib modules are fairly closely
bound to the rest of the distribution.

            regards, tom lane