Re: Remove pg_dump -i option (was Re: Proposed patch: synchronized_scanning GUC variable) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Remove pg_dump -i option (was Re: Proposed patch: synchronized_scanning GUC variable)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Am Donnerstag, 31. Januar 2008 schrieb Alvaro Herrera:
>> Effect: we would stop receiving complaints that an old pg_dump can talk
>> to a server that most likely is incompatible with it.  People would
>> learn on the spot that they must install the newer pg_dump.

> I think a more moderate measure might be to clarify the error message
> "aborting because of version mismatch  (Use the -i option to proceed
> anyway.)\n"

I would be satisfied with that if I thought people would actually read
the message.  My complaint is really directed at certain admin packages
(and they know who they are) that invoke pg_dump *by default*, behind
the user's back, with -i.