Re: heads up on large text fields. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Sargent
Subject Re: heads up on large text fields.
Date
List pgsql-general

> On Sep 21, 2018, at 7:59 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>
>> On 2018-09-21 18:28:37 -0600, Rob Sargent wrote:
>> "/tmp/regen.file" gets very large, very fast and I have to
>> pg_terminate_backend.  Tried this three times, once using "\o test.blob"
>> instead.
>>
>>   h009357:loader$ ls -ltr
>>   total 2048
>>   -rwxr-xr-x 1 u0138544 camplab 10002460672 Sep 21 15:49 test.blob
>
> I suspect the layouting of such wide columns problably creates a lot of
> pain.  I'd try \copy and doing the query after \a.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Andres Freund
The formatting could be an issue for sure: there are a couple of very long lines early and late in the file. But my
realconcern is the unending output stream. If I haven’t made some obvious mistake, psql redirect of large text values
mayhave an issue.