partitioned tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From George Neuner
Subject partitioned tables
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

I've been using Postgresql (9.3) for a while, but I'm new to
partitioned tables.

1.  I have noticed that when the partition trigger function returns
NULL (to stop operation on the parent table), the operation always
reports no (zero) rows affected - even when rows have been affected.
That's a problem for error checking in my client applications.  Is
there a way to get the number of rows affected regardless of the
trigger?

2.  I need to do upserts as opposed to just inserts.  Does it make
sense to try to redirect updates to the current active partition in a
trigger (as with insert) or is it better to choose the update
target(s) using a where clause?

3.  Do the child tables all need separate indexing.  I've seen
conflicting information on the web - particularly in regards to
defining a primary key on the parent table.

4.  I need to keep 15 months of data in circular fashion.  Is there a
clever way of selecting partition by date when there are 15 of them?
Or is it waterfall time (add/delete tables every month)?

Thanks,
George