Re: Failover, Wal Logging, and Multiple Spares - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bryan Murphy
Subject Re: Failover, Wal Logging, and Multiple Spares
Date
List pgsql-general
Ok, I've asked this a few times, but nobody ever responded.  I think I finally got it though, could somebody confirm my logic?  Basically, you setup a chain of servers, and when fails you replicate to the next link in the chain, like so:

Master (A) --> Warm Standby (B) --> Warn Standby (C)  --> etc.

Master Fails, now becomes:

Old Master (A)  xxxxx> New Master (B) --> Warm Standby (C)

And, of course, you might have an additional replication chain from Master (A) just in case you goof something up in the failover process, but that's the basic idea.

Thanks,
Bryan