Re: ERROR: attempted to delete invisible tuple - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bryan Murphy
Subject Re: ERROR: attempted to delete invisible tuple
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Bryan Murphy <bmurphy1976@gmail.com> writes:
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Hm, what's your current XID counter?  (pg_controldata would give an
>> approximate answer.)  I'm wondering if the xmax's are marked committed
>> but are in the future ...

> Latest checkpoint's NextXID:          0/308829887

Hmm, well, they're in the past *now*, but by less than 20000
transactions.  You said this was a production DB so that might not
represent very much elapsed time.  Does the DELETE still fail?

                       regards, tom lane

Wow, how crazy is that.  I was just able to delete those three records.  I tried the remaining, and two were left that I could delete.  Waited 30 seconds, tried again and now they're gone as well.  As far as I'm aware, that's all the bad records in that table.

The database went down last Weds.  How could they have gotten that far into the future?

Bryan