Stock Market Price Data & postgreSQL? HELLPPP Please - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sanjay Arora
Subject Stock Market Price Data & postgreSQL? HELLPPP Please
Date
Re: Stock Market Price Data & postgreSQL? HELLPPP Please  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
Re: Stock Market Price Data & postgreSQL? HELLPPP Please  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Hello All

I want to store stock market price data in postgreSQL and some of my
associates are saying this is not workable, not only in postgreSQL but
in any database. Arguments given are listed below. Kindly comment and
if possible suggest solutions and pointers to further reading.

- This is Time Series Data (I don't know what that is except that it
relates to data marked/related to time) and not suited to a RDBMS.
- You need it in Esper (a CEP engine used by Marketcetera, an open
source trading platform) which needs to get a data stream, whereas an
RDBMS will return a recordset.
- A RDBMS including postgreSQL simply cannot handle the amount of
real-time data coming in from a stock exchange.
- A RDBMS simply cannot provide data, even if you build streams from
recordsets returned, at the speeds required by any technical analysis
charting program.

My level of knowledge is basic SysAdmin & Programming Concepts, not
actual programming. I will be getting someone to build a solution for
me. Need the correct direction please. Again, shoestring budget, all
open source pointers please, unless they are for reading & general
knowledge.

I am hoping for an adapted postgreSQL solution, can't spend more than
few hundred dollars for this....so please...HELLLPPP ;-)

With best regards.
Sanjay.