Re: Featured Users - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Featured Users
Date
Re: Featured Users  ("Rader, David" <davidr@openscg.com>)
List pgsql-www
On 2018-01-15 15:43, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
<snip>
>>> We could be included in the section "Government", under the name
>>> "Natural Resources Canada, Canadian Forest Service”
>
> The “Featured User” list is woefully out-of-date and we keep on punting
> the
> issue of what to do with it. To keep it up-to-date, it does require
> determining
> if the companies featured on the list are still using Postgres, etc.,
> so we need
> to make a conscious decision if this is something we want to support.
>
> It does look good for the community to have such a list as it does show
> there
> are people using PostgreSQL in real applications throughout the world,
> but we need to make sure that we can accurately portray this list to
> the community.
>
> In summary: we’ll see what we can do.

As a thought, for re-invigorating the Featured User list, it'll ideally
be done by someone(s) comfortable doing "Outreach".  eg:

   * Creating a list of potential users to contact (fairly easy to start
     with using any search engine)

   * Reaching out to them (from a @postgresql.org address helped when
     I was doing this ~15 years ago)

   * Determining if they'd be a good fit *and* if they have problems or
     general questions about things (eg "we're wanting to do replication,
     any suggestions?") then direct them appropriately.

     Note 1 - When I was doing this, it was extremely common for people
     to ask questions, so knowing projects/mailing-lists/people (etc) to
     point them at will likely be(come) a noticeable part of doing any
     outreach.

     Note 2 - It was also super common as things progress to come across
     others also experiencing similar concerns/problems (etc), which can
     lead into some good synergies when putting people in contact with
     each other.

That's just the initial Outreach part.  Writing things up from there
eg into simple list, or going further into making Case Studies comes
out of the result.

For me, I mostly became bogged down in the Outreach part (it was both
rewarding an fun though), as even back then there was easily enough for
a single person to do (full time + extra as it was).

That's the "doing it all properly" approach though.  There might be some
quicker/easier way to get things doing without going in-depth. :)

Hmmm, this might be better on the -advocacy list too, as that's very
much
its purpose. ;)

+ Justin