Re: Postgres 8.0 on RHEL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lonni J Friedman
Subject Re: Postgres 8.0 on RHEL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:25:09 -0500, Rick Schumeyer <rschumeyer@ieee.org> wrote:

> I hope this is a valid question for this list.
>

> I want to install PG 8.0 on a RHEL system.
>
> I have been told our security policy says
>
> that only packages provided by red hat can be installed.
>

> Does anyone know how long until PG8.0 would
>
> be available as a RHEL rpm?

This is pure speculation, but i'd have to guess years.  Redhat has not
traditionally changed the versions of any packages in their enterprise
product line once its been released.  So what you've got right now in
RHEL3 is what will remain.  RHEL4 is rumored to be coming out next
month, so I'd be very surprised if they would change the package
versioning at this stage, especially since I think they announced a
feature freeze quite a while ago.  This means you're waiting 2-3 years
for RHEL5.

If you want PG8 then your best hope is FC4 this May.

L. Friedman                                    netllama@gmail.com
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org