Re: disabling OIDs? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lonni J Friedman
Subject Re: disabling OIDs?
Date
Re: disabling OIDs?  (Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>)
Re: disabling OIDs?  (Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql@empires.org>)
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:16:27 -0500, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Lonni J Friedman <netllama@gmail.com> writes:
> > The spam filtering package I use (dspam) had a section in their
> > release notes recently which stated that disabling OIDs greatly
> > increased speeds, and so they suggested that people do that on their
> > tables.
>
> "greatly increased"?  I doubt it.
>
> Last I heard, dspam was not noted for any large amount of cluefulness
> WRT postgres.  It was only recently that we managed to talk them out of
> their most egregious bits of mysql-centricity.  Going to them for
> postgres tuning tips is about like coming to me for mysql tuning ...

OK, thanks.  So is there any real benefit in doing this in a generic
(non-dspam) sense, or is it just a hack that wouldn't be noticable?
Any risks or potential problems down the line?

L. Friedman                                    netllama@gmail.com
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org