Re: windows service not working - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Harald Armin Massa
Subject Re: windows service not working
Date
List pgadmin-support
Kalyan,

> Hi,
>   I just installed postgresql 8.3 on my windows xp desktop.  For some
> reason, I am not able to start it as a service from the control panel (I
> have set it to start manually).  But if I bring up pgAdmin III UI, I can
> connect to the db from there.

if you can connect to the database, there is something running. Either
the database not as a service, or something else.

So, propably your service fails to start because the port 5432
(propably the default) is still in use.

you should fire up eventvwr and check the application log. There you
may find more about the reason why you cannot start your service.

Also have a look at $PGDATA/pg_log (default below
PostgreSQL/8.3/data), if anything is written there.

best wishes

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa