Re: Kernel cache vs shared_buffers - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Harald Armin Massa
Subject Re: Kernel cache vs shared_buffers
Date
List pgsql-performance
> A common rule of thumb people quote here is to set shared_buffers to 1/4
> of available RAM, and leave the rest for OS cache. That's probably a
> good configuration to start with.

And just for the record: This rule of thumb does NOT apply to
PostgreSQL on Windows. My current rule of thumb on Windows: set
shared_buffers to minimum * 2
Adjust effective_cache_size to the number given as "system cache"
within the task manager.

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa