Re: BUG #1244: Postgres doesn't work on FAT - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Harald Armin Massa
Subject Re: BUG #1244: Postgres doesn't work on FAT
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hello,

in the release notes there is a "FAT is not really supported" notice
for PostgreSQL.

I suggest following workaround:

create a cacls.exe and put it first in the search path. That cacls.exe
should just return "OK" no matter of the imput-params.

Be warned that "FAT is not really supported" has good reasons.

Harald

On Tue,  7 Sep 2004 16:21:58 +0100 (BST), PostgreSQL Bugs List
<pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org> wrote:
>=20
>=20
> Bug reference:      1244
> Logged by:          Fernando del Valle
>=20
> Email address:      delsat-sec@data54.com=20
>=20
> PostgreSQL version: 8.0 Beta
>=20
> Operating system:   Windows XP
>=20
>=20
> Details:
>=20
> Postgres installs fine on W2K + FAT32, but not on Windows XP + FAT32. The
> difference seems to be in CACLS.EXE, which is used by the installer to
> change the permissions of files. When used on a file in a FAT32 filesyste=
m,
> in Windows 2000, CACLS.EXE returns ok (even though it does not perform the
> operation, as it can't). On XP, CACLS.EXE returns an error and the instal=
ler
> aborts. We have tested it with 7.5 devel and 8.0, and fails with both of
> them.
>=20
> BTW, the link to the bug reporter (this page) is not working (it should
> point to /bugform.html and not to /bugs/bugs.php).
>=20
>     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org )
>=20

--=20