Re: Performance Implications of Using Exceptions - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ravi Chemudugunta
Subject Re: Performance Implications of Using Exceptions
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

>  In general I would recommend that you benchmark them using
>  as-close-to-real load as possible again as-real-as-possible data.

I am running a benchmark with around 900,000 odd records (real-load on
the live machine :o ) ... should show hopefully some good benchmarking
results for the two methods.

>  That would be in the eye of the beholder, generally.  Given the lack of
>  complexity, I don't think 'cleanness' in this case really matters all
>  that much.

I would like to make a comment that is that the only downside I saw of
using the exception approach was that if for some reason someone
forgot to add the unique constraint to the table, it would be a bit of
a nightmare-ness.  (I am porting some code into the server where the
schema does not have these constraints setup, only in the devel
database).

Will reply back with my conclusions, I am expecting a large difference.

Cheers,

ravi