Re: character 0xe29986 of encoding "UTF8" has no equivalent in "LATIN2" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: character 0xe29986 of encoding "UTF8" has no equivalent in "LATIN2"
Date
Re: character 0xe29986 of encoding "UTF8" has no equivalent in "LATIN2"  (Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>)
List pgsql-general
On 4 Aug 2009, at 15:02, Andreas Kalsch wrote:

> Alban,
>
> what I do to simplify the data chain:
>
> HTTP encoding > PHP string encoding > client connection > server -
> all is UTF8. Plus invalid byte check in PHP (or server).

You're missing my point. You start dealing with the encoding of the
data you receive too late. Here's what happens:

1). User enters data in your form using his web browser. This user has
set his OS to some locale and encoding, say it's WIN1252-JP.

2). User presses "submit" and the web-browser generates a POST request
that CONTAINS the encoding the user used to enter his data.

3). Your scripts process this data as if it were UTF-8, but it ISN'T
UTF-8, it's WIN1252-JP.

4). You try to store this (now) mixedly encoded data into an UTF-8
encoded database and it fails for obvious reasons.

To solve this you can try to filter out "wrong" characters, but they
are not wrong. They're just differently encoded than you think they are.

What you should be doing is look at the encoding specified in the POST
request and either:

a.) convert the data to UTF-8 before you start processing it (both PHP
and Python have functions to do that) or,

b.) pass the encoding on to your database queries so that the database
knows how to convert them to UTF-8.

Of course it can't hurt to verify that the encoding specified in the
POST request does indeed match the posted data, but that's a different
story.

P.S. Please don't top post and keep some context of what you're
replying to. Your messages are a bit confusing the way you write them.