Re: Is there a shortage of postgresql skilled ops people - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Erik Jones
Subject Re: Is there a shortage of postgresql skilled ops people
Date
List pgsql-general

On Mar 27, 2007, at 9:37 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:

On 3/27/07, Marc Evans <Marc@softwarehackery.com> wrote:
Hello -

Over the past couple of years I have made use of postgresql as my database
of choice when developing new software. During that time, my clients have
in multiple cases eventually come back to me and requested a re-targeting
to "Any database that we (my client) can find skilled ops staff to
support." In a most recent case, professional recruiters were employed to
try to find such people. The search was disappointing at best.

My question for this community is, what do enterprises that you deploy
postgresql within do for skilled operations staffing? I can understand
trying to convert a mysql or Oracle person to work on postgresql, but it
would be very helpful to have a potential talent pool to draw from that
was similar to those others. Finding people with HA, scaling and
performance tuning knowledge is something that seems impossible to find
except in people wanting to be developers.

The sad reality from what I have observed is that unless more people gain
those skills and want to work in ops, it's becoming very hard for me to
justify recommending postgresql for enterprise (or larger) scale projects.

What do others  do and/or experience?

PostgreSQL talent is in high demand.  From perspective of
maintainability, this is probably the only drawback (but a serious
one) to choose it as a platform to run a company on.  There is, IMO, a
good reason for this...pg people tend to be very good and tend to stay
employed...

If I was in your position, I would suggest contracting is the best way
to go for those companies, either through yourself (the obvious
choice), or hook them up with some of the bigger names in the
postgresql community, command prompt, agliodbs, etc.

Not having looked myself, this is as much a question as a suggestion, but are there not postgres dba training seminars/courses you could recommend they send their dba's to?

erik jones <erik@myemma.com>
software developer
615-296-0838
emma(r)