Re: strange error reporting - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: strange error reporting
Date
Re: strange error reporting  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
>>> Maybe it would be better if it said:
>>> connection to database at socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432" failed: FATAL:
>>> database "rhaas" does not exist

>> I'd be inclined to spell it "connection to server at ... failed",
>> but that sort of wording is surely also possible.

> "connection to server" rather than "connection to database" works for
> me; in fact, I think I like it slightly better.

If I don't hear any other opinions, I'll change these messages to

"connection to server at socket \"%s\" failed: "
"connection to server at \"%s\" (%s), port %s failed: "

(or maybe "server on socket"?  "at" sounds right for the IP address
case, but it feels a little off in the socket pathname case.)