Re: [GENERAL] 10beta1 role - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: [GENERAL] 10beta1 role
Date
Re: [GENERAL] 10beta1 role
List pgsql-general
On 06/22/2017 01:29 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 1:22 PM, Adrian Klaver
> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 06/22/2017 01:13 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:
>
>         On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 12:06 PM, Ray Stell <stellr@vt.edu
>         <mailto:stellr@vt.edu> <mailto:stellr@vt.edu
>         <mailto:stellr@vt.edu>>> wrote:
>
>              I used "initdb -U" to specify an alternate superuser.  On
>         startup it
>              throws these msgs:
>
>              2017-06-22 14:36:34 EDT,0,startup FATAL:  28000: role
>         "postgresql"
>              does not exist
>
>              2017-06-22 14:36:34 EDT,0,startup LOCATION:
>         InitializeSessionUserId,
>              miscinit.c:503
>

>         Earlier versions do the same thing if you start them with the
>         wait option (-w).
>
>         The difference is that wait is now the default, and you use -W
>         to turn it off.
>

>     The would seem to work for the pg_ctl init[db] mode, however the OP
>     is using the plain initdb where -W is:
>
>     -W
>     --pwprompt
>

> But he is seeing the message when he starts the database, not when he
> does initdb of it.

Hmm, on my machine:

/usr/local/pgsql10/bin/initdb -D pg100/ -U aklaver
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale "en_US.UTF-8".
The default database encoding has accordingly been set to "UTF8".
The default text search configuration will be set to "english".

Data page checksums are disabled.

fixing permissions on existing directory pg100 ... ok
creating subdirectories ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 100
selecting default shared_buffers ... 128MB
selecting dynamic shared memory implementation ... posix
creating configuration files ... ok
running bootstrap script ... ok
performing post-bootstrap initialization ... ok
syncing data to disk ... ok

WARNING: enabling "trust" authentication for local connections
You can change this by editing pg_hba.conf or using the option -A, or
--auth-local and --auth-host, the next time you run initdb.

Success. You can now start the database server using:

     /usr/local/pgsql10/bin/pg_ctl -D pg100/ -l logfile start

/usr/local/pgsql10/bin/pg_ctl -D pg100/ -l logfile start
waiting for server to start.... done
server started

/usr/local/pgsql10/bin/psql -d postgres -U aklaver -p 5472
psql (10beta1)
Type "help" for help.

postgres=# \du
                                    List of roles
  Role name |                         Attributes
| Member of
  aklaver   | Superuser, Create role, Create DB, Replication, Bypass RLS

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com