Re: EXTERNAL: Re: Netapp SnapCenter - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Förster
Subject Re: EXTERNAL: Re: Netapp SnapCenter
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Magnus,

> On 26. Jun, 2020, at 12:29, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> I believe NetApp does atomic snapshots across multiple volumes, if you have them in the same consistency group. (If
youdon't then you're definitely in for a world of pain if you ever have to restore)

> Snapshotting multiple volumes in a consistency group will set up a write fence across them, then snapshot, and AIUI
guaranteescorrect write ordering.

That's how I understood it too. But it will be difficult in our complex storage world to get the storage guys to create
aconsistency group.

Also, what I'm looking for is a plugin that allows to, how Netapp call it, "quiece" the PostgreSQL cluster, i.e. does
start/stopbackup.

I don't really trust the community plugin as it is so old and I'm not sure it gets any more development attention. For
example,what about the API change (exclusive vs. non-exclusive)? Does it use the new API?

Cheers,
Paul