Re: PostgreSQL Certification - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Certification
Date
List pgsql-general
> Am Freitag, 24. Juni 2005 17:06 schrieb Tatsuo Ishii:
>> Really? I vaguley recall that someone who came from US complained
>> about the sort order of en locale. I thought English speakers prefer C
>> locale.

> I have never seen an English dictionary or other list that sorts A, ... Z,
> a, ... z and accented characters (which do occur in English) last.  It might
> be a preference for some people, but that is hardly an English vs. other
> language issue and certainly not a "should", as phrased in the question.

I think it's more a "programmers are used to ASCII order, but nobody else is"
kind of deal.  I agree with Peter that the question is poorly chosen
because both #1 and #5 could be considered wrong.

(I do not much care for answer #2 either, as the space needed varies
quite a bit depending on version and compilation options...)

            regards, tom lane