Re: Add more regression tests for dbcommands - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Add more regression tests for dbcommands
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> On 06/26/2013 12:08 PM, Fabien COELHO wrote:
>> I have been suggesting something upon that line in some of the reviews
>> I've posted about Robins non regression tests, if they were to be
>> rejected on the basis that they add a few seconds for checks. They are
>> well made to test corner cases quite systematically, and I feel that it
>> would be sad if they were lost.

> My thinking was that someone should add all of his new tests at once,
> and then see how much of a time difference they make.  If it's 7
> seconds, who cares?

Making that measurement on the current set of tests doesn't seem to me
to prove much.  I assume Robins' eventual goal is to make a significant
improvement in the tests' code coverage across the entire backend, and
what we see submitted now is just as much as he's been able to do yet
in that line.  So even if the current cost is negligible, I don't think
it'll stay that way.